Friday 28 November 2014

How I have been making a Positive contribution to the wider life and ethos of the school

This blog post is going to cover the past two weeks but with a less classroom teaching spin and more about how I have been completing Standard 8: Fulfil wider professional responsibilities and more specifically 'make a positive contribution to the wider life and ethos of the school'.

Creating a wreath for Remembrance Day was something I had been waiting to make since last year, when I observed a class at another school that made lots of poppies for their own school wreath. Using a template I found and printing onto red card, both Year 6 classes used 4 words to represent what the soldiers might have felt or how they are represented. These were written around the black middle of the poppy


For the body of the wreath I rolled up pieces of newspaper around a piece of wire and shaped it into a circle. The last layer was made from green moleskin paper, wide enough to allow 3 poppies to cover it.



After attaching the poppies using double-sided tape, I stuck a piece of card to the bottom and the last thing (yet to be attached) is a message to the local church from the school.


In Science I have been teaching Circuits and although I am no longer a TA I wanted to use some skills learnt last year and create a display for my classroom. 

After looking on the internet at similar displays, I decided I wanted the names of each famous scientist for our table groups; circuit symbols with their names; and a large paper model of a circuit running around the display. I used the twinkle site for the title and circuit symbols. I will add copies of students work on to the display and also pictures of students applying their knowledge in lessons. 

Football and indoor athletics have played a key part to our sports stars and the girls football team have been practicing after school and had a game scheduled against a local school this week. As for the athletics, I went with a TA and 10 boys and 10 girls from KS2 to a local secondary school, who hosted 10 primary schools in a fantastic Sportshall competition that was well organised and most of all fun. I also made contacts with some of the other school's sports teachers. 

Finally, this week the year 6's went to one of the many 'Christmas Unwrapped' events that took place at a local Baptist church and learnt all about how the story of Jesus' Birth has changed throughout history. The tasks were well laid out and the organisers made all of us feel welcome. My favourite part was the Wrap because everyone was clapping and joining in with the chorus.




No comments:

Post a Comment