Saturday 17 January 2015

Setting the scene: Using the children’s imagination to film suspense stories


Taking part in a filming unit is something I didn’t encounter until I was in College studying for my BTEC and even then I only used the Media Studies students to film a play that I directed. However over the next few weeks I will be teaching every year 6 student how to take a story of their own collaborative imagination, shoot it on school grounds, and edit it using software that is usually only brought in at GCSE or A-Level. This will certainly be a challenge to create 10 films but I am confident after this week’s filming schedule, that there will be 10 short films made that highlight the children’s wonderful work.

Last term the children were asked to work in selected groups of 6 and these were based on mixed ability and also how well they should be able to work together. Everyone had their say and this was managed by choosing one person to be the scribe, one to ensure everyone spoke and everyone’s ideas were written down for consideration.

During the lesson I took for English last week, I taught a lesson on how to put the film ideas on to a storyboard and this was to form the base of their filming. A director from each group was decided and at least one or two camera operators as well. The rest acted in the film.
This was a good opportunity to use my previous career subject knowledge from when I worked in the TV and film industry. I picked up tips and advice on; how to act in front of camera, where to stand for specific camera angles, ensure the continuity was the same when filming from a different angle but same scene, how to direct a scene and get the best out the location and props, which camera angles to choose for specific suspense purpose.
On top of this I introduced them to the correct terms; camera rolling, action, cut, 1st positions, etc. By giving commands/instructions to the director and camera operators, it made filming a lot easier because the actors soon realised they could only commence acting when told to do so.

Over the 10 films I realised a few were starting to have the same start/ending, so I mentioned this to the groups and recommended they change some of the scenes. The main stories were based on someone going back to find something they left behind, being grabbed by a mysterious something/one, finding themselves locked inside a room with no way out. Although a few of the groups really wanted to stick to their original plans, I was able to highlight the reasons behind changing the story and explained that a different ending will be more suspenseful because the audience won’t see it coming.

During the week I saw a lot of natural talent in both the acting and directing. There were some good moments from those who are normally shy or don’t always have a chance to put their view across – yet in this situation they managed to speak up and show a lot of creativity. This is why this project is a great idea as it allows children from all abilities of learning to showcase different talents and develop new ones.

Hopefully I will be able to see this progress into the end of year production in which the whole year group put on a play that involves not just acting but singing and dancing. Teaching Math’s English and the other written subjects may be a big part of school life and I certainly kept up with doing my best until I went to University but there needs to be a change in emphasis on children only concentrating on these areas. Often getting the best out of a child isn’t through reading and writing but through the use of art. At our school we have an excellent arts programme and there are many workshops, clubs and other opportunities for the children to express themselves creatively.



Next week it is the turn of those who wanted to be film editors to turn the footage into a finished article with sound effects, cut and paste scenes into each other, and select other effects to make a truly suspenseful film.  

No comments:

Post a Comment