Monday 8 September 2014

A Baptism of Fire

Baptism of fire: phrase of baptism, a difficult introduction to a new job or activity.

As usual I arrived at school early, only this time I had more bags with me,containing; my PE kit, resources, and stationary. The PE kit was because on Mondays we have the lesson scheduled and today's lesson simply served to deliver best practice information.

The teacher and I discussed what will be happening in the Literacy lesson. Being the first time that both of us will be with this brand new class, we wanted to get to know: what makes them tick, which students need closer eye on, if any stand out for more positive reasons, and also how they respond to our ways of teaching

Registration

The teacher and I went to the classroom to set up the PC, and rehearsed the lesson plan. The bell went and the students lined up in the playground, Due to the new 'soft' start with the classroom being open earlier, we will already be in the classroom ready to start promptly at 9 am.. today however for the first day we should have been outside (must remember that one of us has to go outside to meet the line after break and lunch whilst one stays inside).

After the class had found their new seats the teacher proceeded to go through the register whilst asking each student to put their hands up and this helped all of the teachers to put names to faces. Lunch menu was read out afterwards with about half of the children deciding to have hot dinners. 

One thing I did notice was how excited the class are to speak, which despite being a good thing, is not when a teacher or nominated student is talking. There were some ground rules laid out concerning how to behave in school and both myself and Miss G took note of this for future use.

With 5 Maths classes across Years 5 and 6, some of our students will not be based in their main classrooms.  I went through a list to work out where each student was going to and after a few hidden names, managed to find them all and I took my group off to meet their Maths teacher.

Maths
The teacher is new to the school and also a Year 5 classroom teacher. The two of us will be team -teaching and for many of the lessons we will share teaching until I am comfortable with taking on a full class.

About 8 of my tutor group came with me to Maths and were asked to find a vacant seat. She gave out some information regarding whats expected of the class and also asked them what they want to achieve. The working wall was pointed out which, although blank at the moment, will no doubt be nice and full in no time at all. As well as this, there is a table full of mathematical items, which will change to correspond to the lessons being taught.

I explained that we would like them to work independently and only ask a TA or Teacher for help as a last resort. In the following order should they ask for help; table partner, face partner, rest of the table, TA/Teacher. That way the students can often find out an answer quicker and share their own knowledge and ideas. 

Finally the teacher gave a mental maths Quick 10 and included questions surrounding; multiplication, money, subtraction, and rounding up. I walked around the class seeing how the students jotted down the questions, pointed out a few helpful hints, and it also gave us a chance to see how they respond to these types of SAT's questions. I was asked to read out the questions and pick students to give answers whilst she wrote on the white board any answers that needed clarifying. One question about 1p coins in bags of 100, and their how many in 17 bags, stumped some of the students because they thought the question was how much money was in the bags (£17), and this would have been an incorrect answer. When explained by another student, the class realised that the answer was indeed 1700 1p coins, which was the quantity.

Assembly came before break and I took the class from Maths to the hall. This was led by the headteacher and focused the value of the week which is 'Friendship'. She asked the children what this meant and gave some of them a chance to give their opinion. A few notices were read out just in time for for break-time.

Literacy

Starter
The time had finally arrived for my lesson to begin. Once all of the students filtered into class, I ensured they were quiet before giving the LO:To present an engaging report and asking the class to tell me what this meant. 
I was pleased that quite a lot of the students knew what a presentation means and also how to be engaging.

SC: To ask relevant open question.

SC To listen to answers and respond appropriately with additional questions.
SC: To take notes efficiently.

I then began to look down at my sheet of paper, mumble and talk very quietly, and this was to see if they could give me feedback about how I presented what I was saying. 


The teacher used the lolly-sticks (with student names on) to choose who to tell me what I was doing wrong, and what I should be doing instead. Look to the audience, speak clearly and not fast, and look around the room ensuring what everyone is being acknowledged. Yet again I was pleased with what I was hearing, especially with answers coming from all over the classroom. 


1st Activity

Being my first week and with the class not knowing a lot about me, I gave them a few minutes to come up with questions to ask me about my life. I didn't know what to expect but I was prepared for anything and sat in the front of the class on a chair.

Luckily I only had; How long have you been a teacher?; What is your favourite colour?; What football team do you support; and finally, Where did you go during the holidays?

My replies:I am fairly new to teaching, Blue, Arsenal, and Dorset. 
I wanted to know what sort of questions these were and what they could have asked instead or as well. Closed questions was the response, and I should have been asked open-ended questions that are more than just a quick one worded answer. Or the answers I provided could have then developed into another set of questions: 'Who is your favourite player and why?', 'What did you do before you came into teaching and why did you change your career?' and 'Where about's in Dorset did you stay and what did you do there?'

2nd Activity

This was an opportunity  for them to get to know their peers, and they had to ask questions surrounding what they did during the summer holidays. The teacher and I walked around the tables giving ideas of what to ask and this lasted 5 mins - including time to swap the questioning. The next part of the activity I asked them to go through the questioning , except this time to make notes of the answers. I was looking for them to take notes efficiently which included: bullet points instead of full blown sentences, getting the main conversation jotted down, and developing a question if an answer requires more information.

After another 5 mins, I chose 3 of the class to stand up and present their engaging reports. One of the students I picked was based on how well he had asked relevant open-ended questions and also write down quick notes. The answers gave were; which country the person had visited, a funfair they had been to whilst there?, and also whether or not they could understand the language? I said that whilst the questions started to become developed, they could have been up-leveled by asking: 'What the weather was like?' 'Was the country similar to the UK?' and 'What was their favourite ride at the funfair?'


Plenary 

I delivered a report about 'What I did this summer', except instead of filling it in with lots of information, I just gave a brief outline. 

Afterward I asked the class to dig deeper and wanted to check they had listened to my answers and respond appropriately with additional questions.
I was asked more detailed questions to expand my answers.

The Learning Objective was achieved today by all and after my first actual teaching lesson, it was pleasing to see so many students wanting to ask and answer questions. They also achieved the skills of how to take notes and ask their peers additional questions.

PE
After lunch was PE and this term I am working alongside my mentor. This wil enable me to see how she delivers a lesson and then I do the same. 
Today's LO: To understand pre-requisites for participating in PE lessons.
SC: To use a changing room sensibly
SC: To understand why and how to live a healthy life style
SC: To identify what kit is require to participate in PE sessions

Each Year 6 class will be doing PE during part of a Monday afternoon, and then swap with the other Year 6 class for IT with my class teacher.

My mentor explained in the the school hall what is to be expected of them during PE, what they should be wearing and why, and what will happen should they not bring their kit to school.
One time forgotten will mean a letter home.

Afterwards she showed them the newly refurbished changing rooms and gave a brief on how to behave and also where they should hang their uniform. During the final part of the lesson, it was then discussed as to what will be happening during the initial sessions. Ball handling , Agility, and Tactics (Ball Skills).



2nd class for PE

Having seen the teacher deliver the LO and SC's in the previous session, I was then handed the reins and asked to tell the students what the pre-requisites are for PE. This was good because I hadn't spoken to a lot of the other Year 6 class, and it meant I could address them all at the same time and they have had a proper chance to meet me. 


ROUND UP

Today was always going to be nerve-wracking for me. Yes I have had plenty of experience in a classroom environment over the past year or so, but I am glad that my first lesson went by without a hitch and the students responded well to my way of thinking. 

Here's to a full and exciting year, many ups with hopefully not a lot of downs, but at the end of it all I can look back and see how far I have come in such a short space of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment