Sunday 28 September 2014

My first observed lesson.



On my return to school after University I was brimming with confidence and full of ideas. My first lesson was about researching a famous person on the Internet such (Usain Bolt and Mo Farah among the favourites) and making notes to create a biography. 

Science Lesson Observation 
Focus: How does the teacher check for prior knowledge?
I observed for just the starter.
LO: To know which types of materials make shadows.
LO: Can translucent objects make shadows?

  • First questions included what the class knew of light. When given an answer, teacher expanded on this and asked how/why do they know if it’s a true fact. This made if more interesting because not only was an answer required but also supporting evidence.
  • How it is a fact and not opinion was the phrase she used.
  • The use of real life context also aided the class to think of answers.
  • Interactive whiteboard was used by teacher to put answers.
On reflection this was a useful observation because it allowed me to see the value of knowing what prior knowledge the class have and despite knowing what they should have covered previously, it's always wise to never assume.
I should have observed the entire lesson and seen if any other more prior knowledge came from the class. 

Mentor Meeting
During my mentor meeting on Wednesday, we discussed my Science observation and talked about my pending Spanish lesson plan and I was confused about the difference between a Learning Objective and Success Criteria. She went through what each one represented and hopefully it will stick in my head.

Spanish Lesson Observation of me 
I took the starter of this lesson
LO:  To introduce myself and provide basic information in Spanish
SC: I can recall and use basic vocab to describe; name age and nationality - ALL
SC: I can have confidence in my speaking and listening skills - ALL
SC: I can speak in more than one sentence at a time - MOST
SC: I am able to use previously learnt vocab - SOME

I started off by going through the alphabet as a starter and then introduced 'What is your name?' 'How old are you?' and 'Where do you live?
I said the Spanish and asked the class what the English was. This enabled me to gauge the ability of the class and which ones stood out from the rest. The hardest one was ‘Cuentos anos tiennes?’ because it doesn't have a word similar to English. 

The class teacher took over for the main and this involved using the questions learnt, applying the knowledge by copying sentences from the interactive board, into their books and filling in missing words.

From this lesson I learnt quite a lot about what's needed of me in future teaching. My feedback (a lot of positives with added constructive criticism) had been given at time of typing but I wish to keep some of it to myself and only reflect on how I felt directly after my session. Luckily Miss G took the second Year 6 class as soon as this one had finished so I could also see similarities and comparisons

First lesson
  • There were a couple of really strong students who could do all of the tasks I set. This class I do not teach a lot (they are the other Yr 6 tutor group) so it was helpful to notice who has was willing to answer questions and add extra vocab.
  • I asked questions in Spanish to illicit a response. This was often harder than I thought because my own vocab and pronunciation is not strong enough yet.
  • When asked to get into pairs, the class responded quickly and engaged in conversation. This then resulted in some excellent responses when selected to present to the whole class.
  • I should have used the lolly-sticks because still not clear with all of the names in this class.
Second lesson
  • It was opened similarly to mine, although the teacher is able to talk fluently when greeting the class and has of course better understanding of the entire lesson.
  • She used the interactive board to show Spanish words with English meanings - something I could have used.
  • Instead of working in just pairs, she asked the class to get into groups of 2's, 3's or 4's. 
  • The children presenting afterwards, relied heavily on the interactive board. Would this have been the same in my lesson?

Second School Placement
There is nothing much to say except I arranged a meeting with the Head from a local school and was able to confirm that I have a placement in their Yr 4 class for my 60% teaching block.
It's a school close to where I live and I was recommended it by a couple of their pupil’s parents who I run with at my running club. Being a one-form entry school, there is a huge difference in number of students and also a lot easier to get from a-z across the whole school.

My Day at University
This was all about how to plan lessons. The subjects were: Maths, English and Science. All of the sessions were held by teaching professionals and each had their own unique way of delivering a lesson.

MATHS PLANNING
We were shown additional resources on Blackboard to use and this contained plenty that I will be no doubt using including; Sets of test questions, plenary or starters, mathematical challenges for G&T, mathematical vocab and also other useful websites.

first starter was shown to use which involved the simple use of a piece of paper. 
  • Fold it until it creates 16 sections and write a single digit number 0-9 on each space.
  • You then ask the class questions and they have to re-fold it into place to create answers.
  • Find a multiple of 5, find the smallest 2 digit number, link up with someone else in class to make a certain number.... the list is endless.
  • The hope is to get a visual method of assessing the class without implying it.
Helpful hints
Observe ----> look listen and note what the class do.
Assessment ----> analyse and decide what's needed to be learnt.
Planning ------> how to build on what they know.


What has changed in the curriculum?
Probability and data is less prominent.
Students are expected to build firm foundations and NOT accelerate content learning. 

second starter was shown and it also involved the simple us of paper.

Helpful hints
Create a learning hook/starter: Why should children care?
Vocab: see maths vocab website.
LO: What is the aim?
Support: Differentiation and resources used.
Particular Challenge: Check out the NRich Website.
Resources Needed: Don't leave them until last minute.

LITERACY PLANNING

Helpful Hints
Need to think about the END GOAL.
Need to give the message that all children are R/W's but are at different stages of learning.
Writing isn't just formal pieces.
Children should be learning about text that they have empathy with and are interested in.
Value the texts read by the lower attained reader but open the door to other texts. 
When using extracts - ensure they come from text that is known to the students.

Text Integrity
Choose appropriate ones that are have a good back story for planning.
Not just books but could use Top Trumps/Game Cards or even instructions for games, LEGO etc.

The Specifics
Find every way to show that you notice the children are R/W and give power to them by letting them know that they CAN read and write.
They should be able to integrate life context into their writing.

Behaviour Development 
Coherent thoughts
Better Vocab
Higher choice of reading material
Sense of achievement - they want more
Curiosity and the need to explore further
They contribute more to lessons and take responsibility for their work
Higher level of concentration because they want to do better

Planning
  • We looked at a couple of poems and analysed the planning sheets that we were given. A lot was discussed about how the poem makes you think and not just what the poem is trying to say.
  • When reading poems there is no right or wrong answer. Every opinion counts.
  • Ask a TA to write words up on the board plus teacher add some that could be included.
  • Always read it 3 times; teacher, together and then individually.
  • Place in mixed ability groups so that whilst others are more able readers, the less able can then decode words from what they hear.
  • Give children roles so that they can function as a group and work together.
  • Share the group ideas with the class.
  • Build on other group’s comments and then connect to literacy landscape by adding context.
SCIENCE

Helpful Hints
Always try experiments first before showing the class.
Make a list of essential equipment that should be within easy reach or know where it is.
Remember that some of the experiments, whilst seeming childish to adults, will shock and awe primary aged children and even secondary.

Planning
  • We looked at Sound and how it should be taught at KS2 Level.
  • Evolution is being introduced to Yr 6 in 2015-16.
  • On B/B is a power point and has the National Curriculum in a file.
  • Sound vibrates through things.
  • Show a picture of a Slow Loris and compare the slow movement with lack of sound; making it less easy to track by predators.
  • Use a tuning fork to hear/feel vibrations.
  • See vibrations over different objects and also in water.
  • Try different games such as grandmother’s footsteps; snatch the keys, sleeping lions.
Essentially the session was a huge lesson in itself all about sound and it modelled the way in which we could engage a class not only by power point presentations but by using different experiments dotted about the classroom.

Highlight of the week
I have my second placement organised and have also encountered my first official observation of me teaching.


Roll on next week and see what it produces.

No comments:

Post a Comment