Monday 1 September 2014

Unofficial 1st day at school: Meeting and greeting

Today I decided to copy my fiancee in going to school. Her day was slightly busier than mine whereas I was able to go in with a less formal approach. Firstly I saw that a lot of work had been completed (or still being decorated). There are a few extra classes this year due to the intake increasing to 3 form entry: most year groups now have 3 classes. A few of the other teachers I had met before but some I hadn't. One of the NQT's I had met up with in the summer was in and she had managed to do a lot of displays that included each table being named after circus acts,with her being the Ringmaster. She said that for each table will be used for low to high abilities, however rather than keep each one the same ability level for every subject she decided to change it around. That way the students won't sit at the same table thinking it's for low/high ability. Another thing I notice was she had put them in boy/girl order and will see how this affects the classroom.
As well as looking at displays I also helped one of the Year 1 teachers decorate her class with backing paper and border (a speciality of mine). 
Lastly I asked what language will be taught and it's going to be Spanish. Should I be given that as a lesson, I can use some previously self taught knowledge.

All that remains is for me to enjoy tomorrow as my final day off to prepare and then it will be heading back into school for the start of INSET training. 

No comments:

Post a Comment