Wednesday 17 September 2014

Back at University but am aiming to do better than last time.

As the title suggests, I am back at University (Reading) and my aim is to finish the year with a Good if not Outstanding. 

My last experience in this environment came in 2002-5 when I studied Theatre and Professional Practice at Coventry University. Needless to say, I left with a Desmond (2:2) and thought to myself what could I have done better. I didn't let it deter me, managed to forge a career in drama and have 9 years work-experience to look back on. 

My aim is to pursue this wonderful goal of becoming a Qualified Teacher and ensure that no matter what happens, no matter the time, effort, and months of hard-work, I will reach July 3rd and receive my QTS. This doesn't mean it's going to be a piece of cake or that I am a much more mature person given my 30 years, but I truly feel as if this is my second calling and I have been given a chance to not only enrich my life but many of the next generation of learners.

So back to the purpose of this post. For this week (and a lot of Friday's over the next few months), I am based at the London Road Campus and enduring - sorry enjoying - lectures about the life of a teacher, behaviour management and so on and so forth.
Under the gentle but firm guidance of the Course Director and Assistant Director, who are responsible for the day-to-day running of the Primary Schools Direct Course, I am busy listening, taking notes and being an active member of the group.

On Friday I will recapitulate (a new word I learnt recently) my research and give a brief breakdown of what I have learnt and how I will implement my findings whilst being at school. 

Topics are as follows:

Monday 
Mentorship - this was a chance for my mentor to hear about the basics of School Direct training, reflective practice, responsibilities and expectations.
Registration: - sounds obvious but this also includes a meeting with the Union rep's.

Tuesday 
Behaviour Management- does exactly what it says on the tin, except more, and I wish I had seen this session before entering a school environment because the guest lecturer was brill.
The role of the teacher- management and organisation. What we think being a teacher is all about and what the children might come to expect of us.

Wednesday
Tutorial: A chance to see what was expected from a reflective journal.  Also on the agenda was: how to keep track of files and what to store in each one, weekly mentor meetings, being observed and half termly reviews.
Learning Hub: This is an impressive place that any school would be proud of to call their library. I was amazed at the resources and glad that it's close where I live and teach.
The structure of a lesson: How to consider planning and evaluating. This included a lovely YouTube clip of a Yr 3 Geography class out on a field trip in the woods.

Thursday
How children learn: Not Scooby Doo what this will entail...
English activities: Could be anything.
Mathematics activities: Could be anything.
Science activities: Yet again, could be anything.

Friday
Use of voice: From what I can see, its going to include tone, clarity and volume.
Observing teachers and children: Hopefully notes on how to be effective and efficient.
The National Curriculum: How it informs practice.


So that ends today's blog post and it shall be nice to see what happens later on in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment